Welcome to Who? What? Where? When? Why? on the World Wide Web. Your comments, criticism and suggestions: editors#8w.forix.com (replace # with @).
8W is forix.autosport.com's motorsport history section and covers the drivers, cars, circuits, eras and technology that shaped the face, sounds and smells of motor racing.
The 2015 edition of the Spa Six Hours turned out to be an old-fashioned one. It had rain but not too much (unlike last year), adding the challenge of fickle Ardennes weather in the mix, and it had top cars running into trouble, giving the slower but more reliable cars a crack at a podium in this most enduring of historic races on the calendar. In the end, Roger Wills and James Littlejohn secured a popular win in their GT40, after their umpteenth time of trying. Meanwhile, some of the support races that supply the headlines at other large historic events proved to be both epic and confusing at the same time…
So did the Goodwood Road Racing Club manage to get hold of a copy of the contract that the Zandvoort Historic GP organisers signed with the weather gods? Whatever the legal and meteorological shenanigans may have been, the 2015 Goodwood Revival was treated to three days of fair weather, with the outburst of rain that was forecast for Sunday only following on the Monday after. Meanwhile, Tom Kristensen and Chris Ward were the stars of the show, the Dane racing from last to first in the St. Mary’s Trophy, while Ward took two wins and nearly snatched a third.
After three sundrenched editions the odds were getting thinner and thinner. Could the newly revived Historic GP at Zandvoort – now with Masters Historic Racing providing the main entertainment – experience another full three days in sweltering late-August heat? Or would this wettest of summers strike again? In the end, it held off for exactly those three days, treating us to a rain-free bonanza of formula cars, sportscars and touring cars from the forties to the eighties.
Other recent stories on 8W
- Montlhéry - Just when you thought you had seen it all, 2015 Montlhéry Vintage Revival report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- Goodwood - Still the right crowd, but slightly more crowding, 73rd GRRC Members' Meeting report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- 1996 Indy 500 - The 239.260 car, by Henri Greuter
- Spa - Tropical Spa… but in the rainy season!, 2014 Spa Six Hours report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- Goodwood - Being part of it, 2014 Circuit Revival Meeting report, by Mattijs Diepraam
Latest updates on 6th Gear
- October 4, 2015: Lower category champions - USC, ADAC GT, Euro GT4 updates
- October 4, 2015: Winners circle 2015 - Euroformula Open, FR2.0 NEC, USC, BSS, GT Open, ADAC GT, Supercar Challenge, Euro GT4, NASCAR updates
- September 27, 2015: Lower category champions - European F3 update
- September 27, 2015: Grand Prix wins - Suzuka update
- September 27, 2015: World Championship pole positions - Suzuka update
- September 27, 2015: World Championship fastest laps - Suzuka update
- September 27, 2015: Grand Prix winners - Suzuka update
- September 27, 2015: F1 2015 - Suzuka update
- September 27, 2015: World Championship points - Suzuka update
- September 27, 2015: Winners circle 2015 - F1, FR3.5, European F3, FR2.0 Eurocup, French GT, Italian GT, DTM, WTCC, BTCC, Super TC2000 updates
- September 27, 2015: Grand Prix wins - Marina Bay update