Welcome to Who? What? Where? When? Why? on the World Wide Web. Your comments, criticism and suggestions: editors#8w.forix.com (replace # with @).
8W is forix.autosport.com's motorsport history section and covers the drivers, cars, circuits, eras and technology that shaped the face, sounds and smells of motor racing.
Whoever regrets that the Monaco GP Historique – and the Le Mans Classic for that matter – only takes place in even years should think again before electing to stay at home instead of venturing to France for the May holidays. The Pau event is an interesting alternative to any motor racing aficionado, but so is the Vintage Revival at the classic track of Linas-Montlhéry. There is no racing involved in the two days that form this magnificent spring event, but the vehicles and the people make up for it and more – as does the track itself. The Montlhéry Vintage Revival is the planet’s non-plus-ultra for anyone fascinated by pre-war rolling machinery propelled by any kind of drive. And if you’re not fascinated yet, you will be.
The second Members’ Meeting of the modern era proved to be colder than last year’s, but last year’s success convinced many of the doubters not to stay away in 2015. The racing was even more spectacular – albeit with quite a bit of priceless damage – while the ‘high-speed demonstrations’ were now actually held at high speed! That made the 73rd Members’ Meeting into even more of a success compared to that of its predecessor, even though it took ages to warm up after…
The first Indianapolis 500 after the acrimonious split between CART and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway wasn't really memorable for the strength and depth of its starting field, comprising of a fascinating collection of left-over CART machinery that needed to be used ahead of the IRL's own new formula taking shape. Amidst the additional controversy created by the IRL 'locking out' the first 25 starting positions while CART hosted the rival US 500 at Michigan on the same day, and the tragedy of pole winner Scott Brayton being killed in practice, one amazing car-and-driver combination set a couple of qualifying records that will perhaps remain unsurpassed forever. Henri Greuter tells the story of Arie Luyendijk's Record Car.
Other recent stories on 8W
- Spa - Tropical Spa… but in the rainy season!, 2014 Spa Six Hours report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- Goodwood - Being part of it, 2014 Circuit Revival Meeting report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- Zandvoort - Seaside sensations, 2014 Historic GP report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- Indy 1964 - Part 5: On Art Garner's Black Noon, by Mattijs Diepraam/Henri Greuter
- Le Mans - A bigger-than-life experience, 2014 Le Mans Classic report, by Mattijs Diepraam
Latest updates on 6th Gear
- July 26, 2015: Who goes where in 2015? - TC2000 updates
- July 26, 2015: Grand Prix wins - Hungaroring update
- July 26, 2015: World Championship pole positions - Hungaroring update
- July 26, 2015: World Championship fastest laps - Hungaroring update
- July 26, 2015: Grand Prix winners - Hungaroring update
- July 26, 2015: F1 2015 - Hungaroring update
- July 26, 2015: World Championship points - Hungaroring update
- July 26, 2015: Winners circle 2015 - F1, GP2, GP3, FR2.0 NEC, USC, BES, Porsche Supercup, NASCAR, Super TC2000 updates
- July 19, 2015: Winners circle 2015 - Indycar, Super Formula, Indy Lights, Japanese F3. FR2.0 ALPS, NASCAR updates