Welcome to Who? What? Where? When? Why? on the World Wide Web. Your comments, criticism and suggestions: editors#8w.forix.com (replace # with @).
8W is forix.autosport.com's motorsport history section and covers the drivers, cars, circuits, eras and technology that shaped the face, sounds and smells of motor racing.
Rain was predicted all week, and in the end it did fall but only moments after the winning Ford GT40 of Jason Wright, Michael Gans and Andy Wolfe crossed the line. In fact, the spray of champagne with which the old pitlane was showered felt a lot wetter than the few drops of genuine water to come down from the heavens above the Ardennes. You’d think the 2016 Spa Six Hours was easy then, but the truth was that the attrition rate was higher than ever. Of eleven GT40s entered, only the Wright/Gans/Wolfe ran troublefree – which handed them a long-awaited victory – while many of their rivals also faltered.
For the first time in its five-year history, spectator figures were down at the ever-growing Zandvoort Historic Grand Prix. While that may have some clear causes, the fact didn’t take anything away from the programme, which was varied as usual, with a couple of wonderful surprises added into the mix, especially in the demo section. The undoubted highlight was the appearance of Mark Donohue’s ‘fastest car ever’, the amazing CanAm Porsche 917-30, driven by Dutch F1 and Le Mans legend Gijs van Lennep, who proved that even a septagenarian can still be as happy as a child.
It was smaller than ever but that somehow gave it a cosy feel. For the first time in history the Oldtimer-Grand-Prix – once one of the two great summer fixtures in historic motor racing, alongside the Silverstone Classic – decided not to bother with the Marathon on the Nordschleife, containing the event to the GP circuit’s pit-and-paddock area and the historic paddock across the other side of what is often jokingly nicknamed the Ersatzring. Still, now a more usual-sized event using the popular Masters Historic Racing package at its backbone, it proved to be among the best of that kind.
Other recent stories on 8W
- Monaco - F1 stars celebrate Monaco's F1 history, 2016 GP Monaco Historique report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- 1992 Indy 500 - An Indy record deliberately listed incorrectly, by Henri Greuter
- Markus Höttinger - On the verge of F1, by Guilherme Ribeiro
- Goodwood - Edwardians to the fore in crash-marred event, 74th GRRC Members' Meeting report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- Spa - An old-fashioned one, 2015 Spa Six Hours report, by Mattijs Diepraam
Latest updates on 6th Gear
- October 16, 2016: Lower category champions - DTM update
- October 16, 2016: Winners circle 2016 - European F3, Brazilian F3, WEC, DTM updates
- October 9, 2016: Lower category champions - Euro GT4 update
- October 9, 2016: Who goes where in 2016? - Super TC2000 & Light updates
- October 9, 2016: F1 2016 - Suzuka update
- October 9, 2016: Grand Prix wins - Suzuka update
- October 9, 2016: World Championship pole positions - Suzuka update
- October 9, 2016: World Championship fastest laps - Suzuka update
- October 9, 2016: World Championship point totals - Suzuka update
- October 9, 2016: Grand Prix winners - Suzuka update
- October 9, 2016: World championship participations - Suzuka update
- October 9, 2016: Winners circle 2016 - F1, NASCAR, V8 Supercars updates